Friday, March 9, 2012

wikipedia research

How a Ragtag Band Created Wikipedia
I did not know that Wikipedia was only funded by public donations and I was surprised when the speaker said that it really didn't take much money to run
I was also surprised that only 1/3 of the traffic on Wikipedia is English.
They are in the top 50 websites and more popular than the New York Times.
Wikipedia has only one employee, who is the lead software developer.
I didn't know there was a delete/keep page.
I don't like how he talks about his friend Angela who could write anything she wanted and get away with it just because she's regarded so highly. I am sure there are others like this.
I like that the owners of Wikipedia are more concerned with the widespread, easily accessable knowledge, than huge profits.
I also like that the speaker knows that there has to be a certain extent of monarchy involved

Wikipedia Acurate but Hard to Read
I wouldn't say that I was surprised by the article, only because I have had the same issue when searching medical and technological terms like the example of cancer. I had never heard of the PDQ site that they were talking about, but I looked up both websites and used cancer as the search term and it's true. The PDQ listed term I could understand while wikipedia has several terms and examples that I couldn't even begin to comprehend.

4 ways to Use Wikipedia and Never Site IT
I ALWAYS use Wikipedia in all four of those ways when writing my research papers. I first begin by getting a good idea for what I'm writing about by searching the exact term such as psychology. Then I look for other key terms to take a look at like the different areas of psychology. I then look for the links that lead me to more credible websites and attempt to find the exact sources that were used in the Wikipedia article.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know when you complete the Wikipedia worksheet on an article of interest to you and I can add points!

    ReplyDelete